Day 8: A Photo of Something Close Up

This is Mullein; also known as Lambs Ears, or Quaker Rouge. The story I heard growing up says that Quaker girls, who weren't allowed makeup, would rub the furry leaves against their cheeks to bring the blood up and give them a rosy flush. I've never tried it. It sounds dubious, but awfully quaint. If you boil the leaves you get a tea which alleviates bronchial swelling, and is supposed to be excellent treatment for respiratory crud of all ilks. This I have tried. I can't say for certain if it helped, but it tastes alright, and I felt as if I was doing something, which is a sort of treatment in and of itself.

Also, I think it's pretty.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I make things & take pictures. I gather flowers and find stuff. These are things I made & things I saw.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.